Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bizarre, Fantastical & Brilliant!: The Footwear of Andreia Chaves

Bizarre, fantastical and brilliant! I was really excited to feature the gorgeous concept footwear of designer Andreia Chaves. I can only dream that such avant garde pieces like this could someday be available to the public!

Andreia was born and raised in Brazil, a cultural background that impacted the work she would later create" "The fact that I grew up in a chaotic city like Sao Paulo, full of contrasts, being in contact with such diversity and constant exposure to different visual inputs, has inspired me in how I think and conceptualize my shoes. Looking at my work, I can clearly see influence coming from my South American sense of versatility.  Also in the mix - what I have been experiencing in Europe."

True enough, each shoe is a work of art and a brilliant study in light, contrast, proportion and the fundamentals of balance and harmony. Conceptually, she reaches even further than the aesthetics, exploring deeper themes..

"The invisible shoe" photo by Fernando Biagioni
This mirrored shoe, named "The Invisible Shoe” has a fully mirrored surface and, like a chameleon, interacts or blends with the environment it steps into.

"Prism shoe" photo by Ian Murphy
I absolutely love “The Prism Shoe” because of the way it studies the 3 dimensional form of a shoe in the most unexpected way. Creating shapes reminiscent of origami boxes, she challenges the very definition of a traditional high heeled shoe.

"Form & Texture" photo by Ian Murphy
The “Form & Texture Shoe” is a mixed media piece that uses three dimensional cubes made of wood together with flat square leather panels to create a unified piece which is complex and in some ways evokes a sense of perfectly controlled anarchy.

Last but certainly not least, "Twirled" evokes movements and explores different materials to create an intriguing effect.

I really hope we see more of this brilliant designer in the upcoming years. If not at your local Neiman Marcus, then hopefully at the next Lady Gaga show!

No comments:

Post a Comment